Saturday, December 15, 2012

A sad day

Yesterday was a day of tragedy. A day of sadness. And yes, a day of anger.

I started my day at the scene of a fatal car crash, and knowing that two families would be grieving shortly made my heart hurt. And then word started filtering out about the school shooting in Connecticut, about small children killed by a man with a gun, and I didn't really know what to feel.

Knowing so many people, mostly children, were shot and killed makes us angry. I think it is human nature to be appalled, and just as much part of us to be mad. Maybe the mad comes from a feeling of helplessness, because we know deep down there is nothing we can do to stop it. And that truly sucks.

I grieve for the little lost children, and their families are in my thoughts and prayers.

Like everyone else, I heard about a man going into that kindergarten room and opening fire, and all I could think was, "Why? Ok, so you're screwed up, but why the babies?"

Unfortunately there is no answer that makes anything really understandable. Obviously that man wasn't right in the head. That's all there really is to say about him.

I remember all of my children at kindergarten age - their solid little bodies, their eagerness to jump head first into new experiences, the way they would fall asleep on my lap and be boneless and heavy.

Then I imagine someone pointing a gun at them and I am baffled, shocked and shaken.

I can't begin to fathom what the parents of those little ones are feeling. All I can really wish them is a moment of peace, and some sleep. When tragedy and crisis strikes, sometimes sinking into a little blessed sleep is so hard to do.

I can't help those people. All I can do is offer this: A video that makes me feel a little peaceful when life is hard. It is a short song performed by the MCC Rebel Voices in Slayton. I believe it was written in memory of Martin Luther King.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOzxkokajgc&feature=youtu.be

No comments:

Post a Comment